Tuesday, 26 October 2010

Module 4 - Interacting Online 2

Other Social Networks
Facebook is only the beginning... there are many, many more social networks that allow you to connect with people.

1. LinkedIn
-Used for business and professional contacts
-We will discuss more in our employment module.

2. Twitter
-Micro-blogging (short updates of 140 characters
-Usually pointing to other blog posts and websites

Step 1: Sign up and upload the essentials by clicking here.
-Name
-Description
-Profile Picture

Step 2: Follow your friends and other organisations you are interested in

Step 3: Tweet about what you or your organisation are doing


Twitter Vocab:
Tweet - A post or status update on Twittter
@username - Messages at someone but everyone can see
Twitter handle - The same as username '@xxxxxxx'
#hashtag - Helps people find topics others are talking about
RT (retweet) - If you like what someone has posted and want your follower to read it, you can retweet.
DM (direct message) - Only this person can see it 
Lists - You create lists of other people on Twitter that have things in common
Bit.ly - Shortens links so they will fit in 140 characters

Also see: Twictionary

Other Twitter related resources:
Hashtag.org - Gives information about trending hashtags and good search tool
What the Hashtag! - Find out what hashtags mean
Twit Pic - Let's you upload and link to pictures
TwitterLocal - Search for local tweets and tweeters
Twit Job Search - Search for jobs listed on Twitter
101 Twitter Resources - Long list of other interesting resources




3. Build your own Social Network
-Use for internal group
-More for networks than groups because content and use is by wider users
-Users are required to have profiles which can turn many people off


Examples include:
Some services that let you do this for free are:

Optional Task:
  1. Create a Twitter account (go here)
  2. Follow @MRCF_london
  3. Post your first Tweet... something like 'I love all the new things I'm learning from @MRCF_london about #digitalactivism #mig_ref_digactivits'
  4. Ask another Digital Activist a question via twitter- Example: '@nickmicinski what is your favourite fun person to follow on Twitter?'
  5. Post your twitter handle (your account name @xxxxxxx) in the comments section below.
Assignment:
  1. Go to MRCF's FB event: 'Saturday DA Course- Create a blog'
  2. Confirm 'Attending' or 'Not Attending'
  3. Leave a comment on the event wall

    11 comments:

    1. Sorry I will not attend this saturday for reasons already explained to you. I wish everyone a good long day

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi All, Trying to get to grips with Twitter. I tweeted the new yorker under arts and books "I love all the new things I'm learing from @MRCF_london about #digitalactivism #mig_ref_digactivist" and upon seeing my name next to it I immediately deleted it. Why you may ask.... just didn't like seeing my real name up there. Hey-Ho it's a learing process I suppose

      ReplyDelete
    3. I created a twitter a/c,followed 9 organisations,including MRCF.I posted a tweet to say i was an older new tweeter and got one follower!Did not use my name.FUN FUN FUN!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hi every one I will be attending Saturday session but not sure about the trip to cinema because all my family going to see the film.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I am coming this Saturday but I do not know how to say so on the computer. I am still all at sea with Facebook and totally unready for Twitter. My head is banging and beginning to hurt!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Sofia
      I have twitted about aid work and wanted to know even more about other charities work.so,I'have started to follow 4 diffrent charity organisations and Oprah Winfrey reality show presenter. great to be able to explore on twitter

      ReplyDelete
    7. This is My Twitter
      https://twitter.com/#!/GouveiaMatos
      And I Will Be Attending On Saturday, For The Course and Film Session.
      Carla Matos

      ReplyDelete
    8. ENJOYGETACTIVE
      Twitter account

      Faith

      ReplyDelete
    9. Clara
      http://www.jobs1.co.uk/

      ReplyDelete
    10. Sorry, I was unable to attend the Satuday course.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Hi I already had personal twitter and linkedln account.
      http://twitter.com/dahaboIsse

      I really enjoyed facebook better than any of others.
      Thanks

      ReplyDelete